Monday, August 17, 2015

Mexican Chili

This morning we woke up and ALL four of us were feeling tired, cranky, and run down. The kids have had coughs and runny noses the last two days, and my husband and I got them now, too. I hate hate hate HATE being sick. I hate not being able to workout. I hate not having energy to play with my kids. I hate that when I open my mouth, my voice becomes this whiny person.

This morning, I thought, wow, it'd be nice not to have to make dinner. We'll just go to my moms. False. My parent's don't want sick people coming over, eating their food, and making them sick. The second best option is pulling my crockpot out and throwing random items in. So that's exactly what I did!
It actually looks pretty colorful and pretty all thrown in like that! It tasted pretty good, too!

This would also be a great meal to help clean out some of those cans when you start a clean eating plan like the 21 Day Fix, and are cleaning out your cupboards! Here's the recipe:

Mexican Chili
4 chicken breasts (mine were about 6-7 ounces each)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can navy beans, rinsed and drained
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can green chilis
1 cup frozen corn
1 can chicken broth
1 onion chopped
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Pepper to taste

Place all ingredients in crock pot, turn on high for 4-6 hours, or low for 7-8 hours. Chicken should fall apart easily. 
I used two forks to shred all the chicken. 
Everyone in my family loved this! It put us in the mood for Fall, which is taking FOREVER to get here! Each serving (1 cup) would be 1 red, 1 yellow, and 1/2 green
You could garnish with cheddar cheese, a small scoop of plain Greek yogurt, or some crushed tortilla chips. 

Try it, and let me know what you think! Here's a picture you can pin to save as well!



2 comments:

  1. How many servings does this make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-8, depending on size of the portions. We do 1 cup servings and can get 8

      Delete

Are you ready to do something for YOU? Leave your info, and let's chat!

Name

Email *

Message *