Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti


If you haven't tried spaghetti squash yet, you need to. I love squash! We have zucchini or squash at least twice a week. Once a week we have it as a side, and once a week we have it as a pasta. I have Celiac Disease, and my children have some symptoms that I have, so we try not to have very much gluten in our home. Every once in awhile we have bread or something else, but for the most part we get creative.

Zoodles are a fun way to use zucchini. You can use a potato peeler, there's also a tool from the Pampered Chef that works pretty well, too. There's even a cool tool that makes the zucchini into a twisty thin noodle. Microwave it in a glass bowl for 1-2 minutes depending on how much you have (and until the zoodles are soft) and that's it. Once you add sauce, it's pretty delicious!

Spaghetti squash is easy too! You cut the squash, bake it or boil it, and then use a fork to get the squash off the skin.
If you're in a hurry, cut the spaghetti squash into quarters or smaller to fit your pot. Scrape out the seeds and soft "guts". Add water until the pot is a little less than half full. Bring water to a boil, then turn down to medium-low heat, and cover for 20-25 minutes, or until squash is soft, and comes off the skin easily with a fork. 

If you have more time, you can cut the spaghetti in half, scrape out seeds and soft "guts", drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, place upside down on a cookie sheet, and bake at 450 degrees for about 30-40 minutes, or until done.

There's an excellent sauce recipe in the Fixate cookbook, if you don't have it yet, ask me how you can get it!

We used a jar of organic sauce with no added sugar, it's hard to find and I wish I had taken a picture of the jar last night! Next time I'm at the store I'll grab some more and take a picture. If you look at the labels though, and find one that doesn't have sugar added in the ingredients, get it! 

I added ground turkey, Aidell's sausage, and some chopped onion. We also added some mozzarella on top. It was delicious, and even the most skeptics (we had guests at my mom's last night) loved it. 

Try zoodles or spaghetti squash, and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you ready to do something for YOU? Leave your info, and let's chat!

Name

Email *

Message *