Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Overnight Oats

I can't believe I've gone my whole life without Overnight oatmeal! Like, where have I been? I've always liked oatmeal, and have eaten it nearly every day since 2012 when I had my daughter because oats help your milk supply.

A few weeks ago we went camping and it was a wonderful, much needed break! I didn't have cell reception so I couldn't work, we went hiking, our kids loved being outdoors (it was their first time camping), there were beautiful views.
I was stressed out about food before we left, though. I didn't want to do the normal camping food, hot dogs, marshmallows, chips, and more junk. I planned out all the meals we would need, and packed easy foods, like tin foil dinners with hamburger meat, potatoes, and veggies, lots of fresh fruit and veggies, raw nuts, and overnight oats.




I made the overnight oats shortly before we left our house, and kept them in the cooler until the next morning when we ate them. They were SOOOO good, we ate up both jars pretty quick.

Here's how I made them:

Overnight Oats
1/4 cup oats
3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
honey or maple syrup to taste

Add all ingredients to a jar, shake it, and refrigerate overnight. You can eat it cold, or microwave it for 1-2 minutes and eat it warm.
Shaken vs. unshaken

This is a base for overnight oats, below I will give a wide list of different flavors. For our camp out, I added 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice.
It was amazing sitting out in nature, reading a book, and enjoying a delicious and healthy breakfast. It's such an easy breakfast, too. I struggle with forcing myself to eat in the morning, and when you're not hungry, you don't want to put a ton of effort into making food. We will be having a lot more overnight oats in my house!

Other add-ins to try:
* 1 cup of apples and 1/2 tsp cinnamon
* 1 cup apples and raspberries
* 1 cup bananas and 1-2 tsp PB2, or all natural peanut butter
* 1 cup bananas, 1-2 tsp peanut butter and 1 tsp cocoa powder
* 1 cup bananas and blueberries
* 1 cup blueberries and 1/2-1 tbsp lemon juice and zest from lemon
* 1 cup strawberries 
* 1 cup strawberries and 1 scoop chocolate Shakeology (or 1 tsp cocoa powder)
* 1/2 cup strawberries and 1/2 cup bananas
* 1 tbsp chopped almonds, 1 tsp vanilla, and any berry
* 1/2 tbsp ground flax seed
* 1 scoop of vanilla shakeology (or vanilla whey powder) and 1 cup of fruit
* 1 cup pineapple and 1/4 cup coconut 

Do you have any add-in's you could add to the list? Leave me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you ready to do something for YOU? Leave your info, and let's chat!

Name

Email *

Message *