Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Meatloaf

Last night I had a lot going on, we had extra people at our house, and I just wanted dinner to be simple. But I also wanted it to be tasty because I was starving. This was a last minute idea, and I have to say, it was pretty dang good. It does take some planning ahead because it takes 90 minutes to bake, but I got quite a bit done while it was in the oven. The best part? My kids ate it like crazy, and so did my husband, but that's nothing new. We didn't even have left overs.

Meatloaf
1 package lean ground turkey
2 slices bread (dried out is best, but I didn't think ahead and it turned out fine)
1 egg
1/2 yellow onion
1 1/2 tsp sage
pepper and pink Himalayan salt to taste
1 can tomato paste (you could use a 16 oz or the smaller can, we always use our extras like ketchup on hotdogs or burgers)
maple syrup to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Chop onion and tear bread, we use Killer Dave's sprouted wheat bread,  into small crumbs. In a large bowl, mix ground turkey, eggs, onion, bread crumbs, sage, and pepper.
 Grease loaf pan with coconut oil. Lightly pack meat mixture into loaf pan.
Bake for 90 Minutes, or until inner temperature reaches 165 degrees. While that's baking, you can make the "ketchup". I made mine on the stove, but you can just mix the tomato paste, 1 can of water, and maple syrup.
For the 16 oz can, I used about 1/4 cup maple syrup. Once the meatloaf is done, you can drizzle the "ketchup" over the meatloaf. I chose to dump most of the mixture over the meatloaf because my family soaks theirs in it anyway.

We also had red garlic potatoes and roasted veggies. For the garlic potatoes, I quartered the potatoes, boiled them, and then mixed 1 tbsp coconut oil, fresh pressed garlic, and some dried parsley. Fresh would have been delicious but we didn't have any. 
Next time I'll make two pans, because my daughter is already asking for more today for lunch. 

A serving size would be one 1/2 inch slice. 1 red, 1/4 yellow

What type of meals do you make when you've got a lot going and didn't think ahead to make a crockpot meal? I'd love to hear from you! Leave a comment or email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you ready to do something for YOU? Leave your info, and let's chat!

Name

Email *

Message *