Monday, October 26, 2015

Crock pot saves the day!

I love when I work hard all week, and look forward to a fun weekend with my family, and then the weekend comes and we're all sick. That's pretty much what happened to us this weekend. It was actually a pretty eventful week. My brother came home from serving a two year mission in Argentina. We got to email him once a week, and talked to him on Mother's Day, Christmas, and when our younger brother passed away, but besides that we hadn't seen him for two years. It was so nice to have him back! Plus, he got to meet my 1 year old for the first time!


My kids were very rambunctious all week, mostly from excitement with Halloween coming. We did lots of shopping, running errands, and going to the library to keep busy and get through the week. I REALLY look forward to having my husband home to help with the kids on the weekends. Saturday wasn't too bad, the kids were just starting to get runny noses, I had a sore throat. It was a crummy day out, and we had a lot of yard work we wanted to do. We got our lawn mowed, that's about it. 

When we feel crummy and it's crummy out, we like to make soup. I'm sure most people do. There's something therapeutic about having the smell of a savory soup permeate your whole house for several hours. I love it. 

This soup was purely an experiment, but I would like to think it turned out pretty well! We all had a cup for dinner Saturday night, left overs on Sunday, and there's only enough for me to have so me for lunch today. Usually we can have soup for dinner three nights in a row. Someone had seconds (I won't name any names, but he's the only full grown man in our house...)

Anyway, here's the recipe! Hope you enjoy it!

Crockpot Creamy Chicken and Vegetable Soup
4 chicken breasts 
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stocks, chopped
1/2 onion, minced (I actually ran out of onions so I used a tablespoon of dried minced onion, but fresh certainly would have been better!)
3 cups chicken stock, or low sodium chicken broth
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano 
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
fresh ground pepper to taste

Place chicken, vegetables, seasoning, and chicken stock in crock pot.
 Set to low heat, and leave for 4-6 hours. Once chicken is falling apart, shred with two forks.
Stir in almond milk and pepper.
 Enjoy!

Serving Size: 1 cup
Makes: 8-10 servings

For 21 Day Fix, a serving counts as 1 red, 1/2 green

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you ready to do something for YOU? Leave your info, and let's chat!

Name

Email *

Message *